Sunday 16 March 2014

A day at the beach


When the sun was shining last weekend a familiar phrase fell from my lips. 

"I wish I was at the beach," I had mused to anyone who was around to hear. Now I live a good two-hour drive away from any coastline, and I said this at about 2pm on a Sunday, so obviously it wasn't going to happen there and then. A few days later, though, I received an email.

"If the weather is lovely at the weekend we should go down to Calshot," and all of my dreams promptly came true.* 

Yesterday I found myself in a car being whizzed down the A34 to have a picnic on the beach. Calshot is on the edge of the New Forest, and its beach overlooks the Solent, Isle of Wight, Southampton Docks and Portsmouth. And a decommissioned oil power station. That's quite a few things, and all quite interesting to sit and watch whilst nomming ricotta-stuffed cherry bomb chillis. 

It was fairly busy on Calshot beach, but not packed - mostly families who were stopping by for a quick wander and an ice cream to appease the kids before leaving again.

I bought a new DSLR a couple of months ago so thought that this would be a good opportunity to try it out. The below are the results, and I hope that they truly convey not only how nice the day was but also how amateur a photographer I am.

Calshot Castle, Calshot Activities Centre and Southampton Docks

Boats on Calshot beach

It's me! And I'm in front of Fawley Power Station

Portsmouth and Spinnaker Tower (on a nice clear day)

View of the Isle of Wight from the car

Obligatory beach hut photo
Things I saw at Calshot:
  • lots of seagulls
  • 2 brent geese grazing on the gravel ("What kind of seagull is that?" doh)
  • lots of people with metal detectors
  • the busiest ice cream van I've seen this side of the new millennium
  • a castle (£3 to go in, no idea what's in there - the English Heritage website is not helpful in that respect)
  • the Spinnaker Tower
  • a man in yellow waders having a good old forage - 'A nice way to spend a Saturday,' I thought to myself.
My 'thrilled to be here but my hair is not so sure' face


We had a marvellous day trip and being by the sea on a fine and sunny day was very cathartic after a damp winter. I used to live by the seaside in Wales for university, and visiting for a few hours reminded me of how much I really miss spending lazy days on the shale with friends and a tennis ball or book. Hopefully I will get the chance to go back to that neck of the woods again soon.

All recommendations for good beaches I should visit next are welcome!

Home again to the sun setting over the countryside

*An exaggeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment